Scripting mistakes and tilde communities

Playing around with a static site generator I found out a mistake that messed up my Markdown experience, and I did not even noticed until now while trying to build a website on tilde.cafe!

📆 29 Jun 2021 📕 480 words ⏳ 1 min. 🏷️ foss coding linux tilde

Up until now I have been using Neovim to write my blog posts, and it has been working wonderfully, as far as I could tell. However, something got my attention recently.

I have been playing around with blop, a static site generator written in bash that uses pandoc, sed and other simple utilities to generate a blog. I have decided to give it a chance in a new site I got because I joined a tilde pubnix.

What even is a pubnix or a tilde you might ask? Well, its kinda like a shared computer where you can log into using SSH. There are a lot of communities like that and you can checkout some of them by visiting the Tildeverse website

I decided to join to tilde.cafe. I got accepted a few days after I made my request, and it has been a great experience so far.

Coming back to the mistake I mentioned before, neovim offers some neat syntax highlighting by default, and I enjoy to have it not only for Markdown but most other programming and markup languages that I use every now and then.

But Markdown was not working somehow, and I did not know why, it was kinda working, but headers were showing up as if they were comments, with a gray coloring since I use the Nord color scheme, which made them harder to read.

But I just thought I had some weird plugin and I never really tried to fix it, since the rest of things worked as intended for the most part.

It was not until I used blop to with my current posts that I noticed that most of them were not working. There is some simple templating, and only the header and footer showed up without any of the content. I spent a lot of time messing around with the metadata on top of it, which is kinda different from Jekyll. Like this:

---
author: Me
title: Title
summary: A summary
date: YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM
---

But there is something that is not noticeable at all, an extra space at the end of the last dash, which came from my good old rofi script, that has a line like this:

echo -e "# Previous metadata ...  \n--- ">> $path/$filename.md

And as you can see, that little space in the end was messing it all up. The sed command used in the bash script was not finding the last "---" and it just went through the whole blog. After removing all of those spaces, everything started to work as intended, and now I have a new website, which is a mirror of this one, using my tilde.cafe domain, and you can visit it here

This is day 46 of #100DaysToOffload

If you have something to say, leave a comment, or contact me ✉️ instead

Comments

Reply via email Load comments
Reply via Fediverse

You can reply on any Fediverse (Mastodon, Pleroma, etc.) client by pasting this URL into the search field of your client:

https://fosstodon.org/@joeligj12/106508311181665121